Dan Murphy is the current outreach team lead for Culture Amp and in charge of their SDR team. Previously he led the sales team for Import.io I had the chance to talk to Dan about his current sales process, favorite tools, and more.
1. Hey Dan, thanks for doing the Q&A. Can you briefly tell us about yourself and what you’ve been working on?
I’ve been focused on building the SDR/Outreach team at CultureAmp. We’re now at 8 team members in 4 timezones and hitting out numbers (and having a lot of fun!).
2. How did you get involved in sales?
I graduated as an engineer and built a product nobody wanted. Since then I’ve spent the past 10 years of my career focused on the revenue side of the house. That’s what got me into Sales.
3. What does a typical day in sales look like to you?
- Review email/slack for any urgent issues
- Review how I’m tracking on my top 3 for the week and plan the day
- Meetings, 1:1s
- Get home by 6pm to take of the baby
4. What is your current sales stack and what are your favorite sales tools?
– Outreach.io for email/phone outbound
- LinkedIn Sales Navigator (it’s getting so powerful these days)
- Grammarly (grammary/spelling is so important for first impressions)
- ChiliPiper for scheudling (really an amazing product if your an SDR booking on behalf of AEs)
- GrowthOK– For highly qualified and targeted sales leads along with custom data
- The Great Suspender
- recordit.co for gifs
- Excited about leadpager.io, responding to demo requests in less than 10min has been a big pipeline driver for us.
5. What’s one mistake that you think most entrepreneurs make as they first get into sales?
They try to sell/pitch and miss out on really understanding the problem the prospect actually has.
6. Any annual goals for before 2017 ends?
Achieve results while staying calm and relaxed so I can keep doing this forever 🙂
7. If you could give one advice to the newer sales peeps on sales, what would it be?
Understand your prospects situtation/problem and then try to help. If you can’t help then politely walk away.
You can catch Dan on Twitter @dantmurphy
If you’re looking for qualified and targeted sales leads, check out GrowthOK
P.S. We have a free 10 sales hacks in 10 day course here